By the end of the penultimate weekend of the 2017 AIHL regular season, the Finals lineup had been decided.
Sydney Ice Dogs really needed to take maximum points away from the weekend hosting a double header at Macquarie Ice Rink. On Saturday, Melbourne Ice beat Ice Dogs 4-1. On Sunday, CBR Brave defeated Dogs 6-1. Meanwhile at Hunter Ice Skating Stadium, the situation was not much better for Newcastle Northstars. With a heavy 8-1 defeat on Saturday by CBR Brave and an entertaining 6-4 loss against Melbourne Ice on Sunday, any slim hope of a Northstars 3peat was gone forever..
In Adelaide, Sydney Bears always seem to play well. With both teams eliminated from the Finals, any points for either team would be a bonus to keep them away from the bottom of the ladder. Bears scored a 3-2 shootout win on Saturday and blanked Adrenaline 3-0 on Sunday.
Elsewhere around the league, Perth Thunder took 6 points away from Melbourne with two wins against the Mustangs (5-4 Saturday, 5-1 Sunday). Regardless of these results, both teams will feature in the Finals alongside Melbourne Ice & CBR Brave.
Ladder (28 regular season games per team):
- Melbourne Ice: 65 points from 26 games
- Perth Thunder: 51 points from 26 games
- CBR Brave: 46 points from 26 games
- Melbourne Mustangs: 40 points from 26 games
- Sydney Ice Dogs: 30 points from 26 games
- Sydney Bears: 30 points from 27 games
- Newcastle Northstars: 30 points from 27 games
- Adelaide Adrenaline: 23 points from 26 games