With 3 weekends of the AIHL regular season to go, the Finals picture is starting to become clearer. On 12/13 August, both Sydney Ice Dogs & Newcastle Northstars were fighting for their Finals positions. The common factor was the Melbourne Mustangs, also fighting for a Finals position. On both days, Mustangs took the points with wins on the road. On Saturday, Mustangs won 2-1 against the Sydney Ice Dogs at Macquarie. On Sunday, Mustangs turned on the goals at Hunter Ice Skating Stadium, winning 6-1 against the Northstars. Northstars are now eliminated from the Finals race with the Ice Dogs not far behind. Northstars & Ice Dogs are now 10 points behind third & fourth place CBR Brave & Melbourne Mustangs who are on 40 points.
Meanwhile, Sydney Bears had a glimpse of their post-season schedule with their first complete weekend off of the season. Elsewhere in the league, CBR Brave and Melbourne Ice battled in a Canberra double header. Brave won 8-5 on Saturday and Ice won 6-3 on Sunday. With this win, Melbourne Ice have confirmed their first position on the ladder that now can not change. They also win the H Newman Reid trophy – if anyone knows where it is – for being the regular season Champions.
Ladder (28 regular season games per team):
- Melbourne Ice: 59 points from 24 games
- Perth Thunder: 45 points from 24 games
- CBR Brave: 40 points from 24 games
- Melbourne Mustangs: 40 points from 24 games
- Sydney Ice Dogs: 30 points from 24 games
- Newcastle Northstars: 30 points from 25 games
- Sydney Bears: 25 points from 25 games
- Adelaide Adrenaline: 22 points from 24 games